« Home | The october blues. » | Current Events » | The Yard Sale » | Labor Day Weekend » | Yellow Yellow in my wall, do you have a jacket?? ... » | Our 6th Anniverary » | Hiking with the Gene » | The passing of a soldier and friend. » | Glorianna... » | Dig n Eat Crawfish!! »

Finished it!!

There I was, a chilly October morning. Something big was about to happen. Something that had been long awaited. Something that had been over 1 year in coming. It is at these times the test of what men are made of happens. Suspended 20 feet in the air by metal and straps, I sat. There it was... page 493...I read the last few words on the page...and...I had finished it.

Yes, I finished the book entitled "Revivals of Religion" by Charles Finney. It was an excellent work. It is a collection of lectures Charles Finney gave on the revivals of religion. I found the last 2 chapters, on backsliding and growth in grace particularily enjoyable, as they were easy to relate to yourself. I find however that I am a backslider and growing in grace all at the same time. Yes, there is much work to be done on the old self.

Some may ask, why on earth where you suspended in a tree reading a Christian work such as this? Well, because I am Christian that likes to read such works, and because I also enjoy deer hunting, but find I can't sit there for that long without something to do other than scanning the same patch of woods for sign of deer movement.

I also had asked the Lord before ascending the tree to bring the deer encounters along, and before that had asked Him to guide me to the right tree. So, as I finished the book, I kinda said "Lord, I guess now the deer can come along, I finished the book as I had planned on doing this morning." (I had about 20 pages left to go) No sooner than Had I closed the cover and looked up...and behold...2 deer!!

So I put the book behind me, and stood readying myself. What a perfect morning! I finished my book, and the Lord brought along the deer! I began to realize however, the tree I was didn't have the best cover, and I was a little close to the trail. However, the doe presented a good broadside and I drew back. Suddenly, she spotted my movement. I froze, willing myself to not move or twitch hoping the deer would continue on. It was not to be...she spooked and took off.

But, I finished the book! And I learned more about deer hunting (I should have let her go beyond me before I pulled back, it would have been a good quartering away shot, plus she wouldn't have seen me.)

So it was a nice day. Sunday was a nice day too. Church, relax, church, relax. Very nice.

Well, Nate's here and wants to go to lunch... so I'm off!

About me

  • I'm Bro Trevor
  • From Sellersburg, Indiana, United States
My profile