That really could have stunk!
Over the long Thanksgiving weekend, I had a few opportunities to go hunting. I was able to shoot a nice sized doe on Thanksgiving day. The following Saturday I went out again.
After having sat there on that Saturday since 3:30 or so, it now being 6pm, and the horizon darkening very quickly, I decided it was time to get up and get down from the tree. I began to ready my stand - put my backpack on my back, unstrap the various straps that connect the stand (and me) to the tree. Oh no! My camo covered pillow fell down! Ah well, I'll pack it up when I get down the tree. (the pillow makes sitting there for hours easier sometimes doncha know)
"WAIT!" my brain shrieks. "What was that noise? - A deer? It's too late to shoot anyhow." I look around to see if I can see some shadows moving, and I notice what appears to be a white head scurrying around. "Ah, most likely an opossom". I finish getting my stand untethered and I decide to just have a gander at the small critter through the light gathering eye of my scope.
"AH!! I SEE TWO WHITE STRIPES! It's ok, I can do this... just make a bit of noise, it'll run away".
The skunk apparently heard the noise, and upon being scared, buried his head and pointed his posterior end outward.
" Trevor you there?" came my brother-in-law across the radio.
"Yeah"
"Where you at?"
"I'm still in my tree...about to get down"
"You're still in your tree??"
"Well, you see, there's this skunk...and he won't leave."
"You ain't riding in MY truck!"
"What should I do? Should I shoot it?" The little light that was left was fading fast. The fullish moon in the sky was covered by clouds and produced very little light. A skunk is a small target. What if I missed?
"No, if you shoot it, it'll spray. Maybe if I walk that direction it'll scamper off"
"Ok, I'll shine my light on it for a bit so you know where it is"
My brother-in-law bravely walks towards the direction of my flashlights beam. He gets about 25 yards away and stops.
"That's all the closer I'm coming!"
"Ok, just shine your light on it, and tell me if it moves...I'm going to climb down"
I descend the tree as quickly as possible. Halfway down my brother-in-law's flashlight dies.
"Well, I can't do much more now. I'm going to back out of here".
"Ok man, I'm sure I'll be fine."
I detach my stand from the tree and begin to pack things enough to move to a safer distance. "oh no!" I think..."my pillow that fell! It's a few feet closer to the skunk!" I gingerly take a few steps that direction and snag the pillow, retreating back I grab all the rest of my gear, and walk another 30 yards or so away.
After walking out of the woods with all my gear, I felt VERY relieved.
This gives new meaning (or reaffirms the old) to the phrase "That really could have stunk!"
After having sat there on that Saturday since 3:30 or so, it now being 6pm, and the horizon darkening very quickly, I decided it was time to get up and get down from the tree. I began to ready my stand - put my backpack on my back, unstrap the various straps that connect the stand (and me) to the tree. Oh no! My camo covered pillow fell down! Ah well, I'll pack it up when I get down the tree. (the pillow makes sitting there for hours easier sometimes doncha know)
"WAIT!" my brain shrieks. "What was that noise? - A deer? It's too late to shoot anyhow." I look around to see if I can see some shadows moving, and I notice what appears to be a white head scurrying around. "Ah, most likely an opossom". I finish getting my stand untethered and I decide to just have a gander at the small critter through the light gathering eye of my scope.
"AH!! I SEE TWO WHITE STRIPES! It's ok, I can do this... just make a bit of noise, it'll run away".
The skunk apparently heard the noise, and upon being scared, buried his head and pointed his posterior end outward.
"
"Yeah"
"Where you at?"
"I'm still in my tree...about to get down"
"You're still in your tree??"
"Well, you see, there's this skunk...and he won't leave."
"You ain't riding in MY truck!"
"What should I do? Should I shoot it?" The little light that was left was fading fast. The fullish moon in the sky was covered by clouds and produced very little light. A skunk is a small target. What if I missed?
"No, if you shoot it, it'll spray. Maybe if I walk that direction it'll scamper off"
"Ok, I'll shine my light on it for a bit so you know where it is"
My brother-in-law bravely walks towards the direction of my flashlights beam. He gets about 25 yards away and stops.
"That's all the closer I'm coming!"
"Ok, just shine your light on it, and tell me if it moves...I'm going to climb down"
I descend the tree as quickly as possible. Halfway down my brother-in-law's flashlight dies.
"Well, I can't do much more now. I'm going to back out of here".
"Ok man, I'm sure I'll be fine."
I detach my stand from the tree and begin to pack things enough to move to a safer distance. "oh no!" I think..."my pillow that fell! It's a few feet closer to the skunk!" I gingerly take a few steps that direction and snag the pillow, retreating back I grab all the rest of my gear, and walk another 30 yards or so away.
After walking out of the woods with all my gear, I felt VERY relieved.
This gives new meaning (or reaffirms the old) to the phrase "That really could have stunk!"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.. ok so im really laughing at this one ROFL... he he he he..
If.. just perchance.. if u had gotten sprayed.. how were u going home :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:42 AM
Post a Comment