« Home | Room 360 » | More painting... » | Sunday Lunch! » | We're Back! » | We've arrived!! » | Packed and ready to go!! » | Thanks to my family! » | Travelling with Technology » | Christmas greetings from Zion and Riah » | MMM.... Jerky »

Funny ironies...

Saturday, I was driving home from being at the office to protect our servers from the power outage that was supposed to happen but didn't. I was powerfully hungry and wasn't sure what we had at home, so I called the wifey and informed her of my intent to feast from the Burger King drive-thru, and enquire if she wanted anything.

After I got the order figured out, I realized something rather amusing. As it was Saturday I typically tune into NPR if I'm out and about. Of course, Saturday afternoon is a show that I think is quite good, the splendid table. Of course, there-in lies the irony...who eats burger king food and listens to "the splendid table" at the same time, whilst they speak of fresh caviar, humus, and hosts of other exquisite foods.

The other irony I encountered was today. I was getting some coffee flavoring from the local "Christian Coffee Shop", Coffee Crossing and I noted the backs of their shirts. They said "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. I Cor 10:31". Now, this is quite entertaining from a coffee shop, as in being really happy about drinking your $3.50 12oz latte. The irony is that close to 200 years ago, men like Charles Finney spoke of coffee very very negatively, and were he here today, knowing that we consume coffee solely to please our appetites and taste buds, while people all over the world are perishing due to hunger, both spiritual and physical. In his view, spending money on drinking coffee and then claiming we don't have money to send to missionaries and for the work of God, is distinctly NOT for the glory of God.

The other "irony" so to speak was today as well. Azariah keeps turning anything remotely "L" shaped into a gun. I retorted that he was a "savage" and to give me the "L" shaped pump back. He said "I'm not a savage, and with his very next breath said "AAAAHHHHHHHHH" and charged me, ramming his head into my leg.

Perhaps he doesn't know what the word savage means.

Haha. You have cute kids. :-)

And I agree with Charles Finney (and John Wesley). I've visited Starbucks twice in my life. Once - when they were giving coffee away for free as a promotional stunt (of course I ordered the most expensive variety, since it was free, ha), and again when my wife was tired beyond reason and I decided to splurge on one of those $4 coffees just for once. Outrageous that a coffee would cost as much as my lunch. There's probably a 10,000% markup.

Don't get me started!

This was just going to be a sympathy comment, but since it's such a good post, I thought of too many things to say. (A common fault of mine.)

Caviar & humus? They're in the same boat as Burger King, imho. Whatever happened to good old roo steaks?

I'm with Brother Bob. I've been to Starbucks twice. The first time was in America. The second time was in... America. Atlanta, in fact, I think. The other time was in New Zealand. (I can't count past 2).

Charles Finney had a very good point. With such cheap coffee, you really shouldn't be complaining about not being able to afford anything. And cheap lunches. Mine cost $14 the other day. (I know, that's not the point. Which is why I'm trying hard not to be jealous.)

I agree with Riah. "Savage" = "canibal." He's not savage.

I hope...

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Bro Trevor
  • From Sellersburg, Indiana, United States
My profile