« Home | I'm certified!! » | Kid Specials » | Atlanta Trip » | The Dental Visit or let's send this guy to other... » | Study Study Study... » | Tomato Harvest!! » | Generals Brought to Tears » | Mt. Dew Free Day!! (August 16th) » | Summer Time! Part 3 » | S'more pictures!! (Summer Time Part 2) »

At least I can blog!!

Good evening all.

I sit here in the rocking chair today, under some pain, and with decently powerful medication in me. For all of that, I feel my brain is still sharp, if maybe a bit sluggish.

The reason for all this was the extraction of my wisdom teeth and one other tooth. You can view my last dental post for the details as to why. Basically, I had a tooth giving me fits, and it was time to pull it. Since I had a cavity in a wisdow tooth anyway, I decided upon my dentists recommendation to have them pulled too.

So, I thought I would comment on a few things.

The procedure went fine I guess. They never really said, but I think the doc had to do some surgery on some guy at the hospital that was there before me. I remember hearing the guys slurred speech and I think he was in ALOT of pain.

Anyhoo.

The part I think is interesting is after they woke me up. First off I remember feeling stuffed full of gauze.

Second, I thought...ok, self test. Can I sit up? So I sat up. I felt fine.

Ok, think of something, test your brain.

"A,B,C,D - no...something a bit more complex. Trevor Emond, "

Well anyhow...things to be in fine shape. I txted my wife to let her know I was awake, and with all the wit I could muster wrote, "Good morning". I thought that was rather witty at the time. What else should I have said.

Now here's where it gets interesting, at least to me. I don't know how I had my iPhone. I had left it with Nathan in the lobby. He must have brought it to me before I woke up I guess.

There strange juxtaposition of FEELING very alert, and Nathan commented even my vocabulary was fine, if not using larger words than normal, (which is only defaulting back to my roots from the North I guess) and yet I don't remember leaving the dentists office. I think I remember getting into Nathan's truck, and a few points of the trip home, but I don't remember most of it.

Apparently, I talked to AnnaMay on the phone, and even called the doctors office to confirm what all the medications were. I spoke intelligently enough but I have no rememberance of that.

Nathan had a good time laughing at me apparently, and being weirded by the same thing. Just when he thought I was totally loopy, I would say something completely intelligent, and would through him off.

After getting home, I went straight for the couch, and slept a bit. I sent AnnaMay to get the prescriptions Nathan and I dropped off because one side of my mouth was really beginning to hurt. A bit after this I just went to bed and slept till the pain woke me up. I took a 800mg ibuprophen, and then had AnnMay call to see if I could take the Ibuprophen and Oxycodone at the same time. It HURT.

The pain is down to a dull ache now, and I think the left side of my mouth is going to be aware in an hour or so. It's still numb at the moment.

Well, i can feel myself drifting off now...and I need to change the guaze again. (this is the worst part. I can't stand dry gauze in the back of my mouth.)

If anyone is interested in my blogging about my Haiti trip. I expect I'll do that as I laze around tomorrow recovering from this. I journaled before I went to bed each night I was there, so I have all the material, just need to shape it up and turn it into a blog.

Later!

When I woke up after my surgery, I felt the same way... very alert. Kind of funny, since you'd think it wouldn't be that way, but maybe it's designed to wear off very quickly. I didn't have quite the same experience as you did afterwards, but my operation was only two teeth at a time so maybe it wasn't as long.

One thing I noticed after I had my teeth out was that it felt funny not having teeth at the back to bite with. I've totally gotten used to it now, but for the first few days it feels like something is missing. Good chewing teeth, those things.

Good luck with your recovery! Keep blogging... now that you have some extra time on your hands.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Bro Trevor
  • From Sellersburg, Indiana, United States
My profile